• es
  • pt-br

Temperature in Rio de Janeiro – All the details

Temperature in Rio de Janeiro – All the details

Planning your trip to Rio de Janeiro and want to know how to prepare your suitcase? Understand better the climate and temperature in Rio de Janeiro! Read our text and stay on top of all the details.

TEMPERATURE IN RIO DE JANEIRO

We usually hear that Rio de Janeiro is hot all year round. But do you know why this fame? Let’s understand the temperature in the city better. First, we need to understand the difference between climate and weather.

ABOUT THE CLIMATE

Guys, the climate of a particular location is the result of weather conditions measured over a long period. These studies generally take 30 years of observation and the patterns are repeated.

Considering this information, we can say that the city of Rio de Janeiro has a humid tropical climate. They are humid, semi-humid and dry areas as well.

This means that the areas receive a different volume of rain, as this variation occurs according to the relief and proximity to the sea.

The higher the altitude, the lower the temperature, in the case of Serra do Mar, Paraíba do Sul Valley and Itatiaia Highland. In fact, the lowest temperatures in Rio are recorded in the Itatiaia Highland.

In the lower regions of the city, especially the lowlands of Rio de Janeiro and the metropolitan region, temperatures are higher. In areas closer to the sea, temperatures are milder.

AND WEATHER

The weather factor considers the state of the atmosphere of a place at a given moment. This occurs in short periods, such as hours, days and weeks. The pattern, in this case, varies at any time.

That is why it is so common, rainy dawn and throughout the day the weather gets better. With that, we can visit the SugarLoaf and Christ the Redeemer! 🙂   

alto-pao-de-acucar

curiosidades-rio-de-janeiro-cristo-redentor

Since we know the differences between the climate and the weather, now let’s go to the other important factors to prepare our suitcase!

THE FEARED TEMPERATURE

The annual temperature in Rio de Janeiro is around 24 ° C. Summer is rainy (between November and April) and winter is dry (from May to October). The month of July is considered the driest! And despite the winter, the coldest month has an average temperature above 18 ° C. Funny, isn’t it?

The hottest season in the city lasts from December to March. In these months the average daily maximum temperature easily exceeds 30 ° C.

calor-rio-de-janeiro

For the hottest days, what is the best program? Beach! See the 5 best beaches in Rio de Janeiro.

The most pleasant seasons last between May and October. The temperature during these months reaches a daily average below 26°C. Generally between 18°C and 25°C. Very good!

neblina-baia-de-guanabara-inverno

THE PRESENCE OF CLOUDS

In the city of Rio de Janeiro, those days when the sky is full of clouds vary a lot. On these days our main tourist spots will be impossible to be seen. See more details.

Between the months of October and April is the period with more cloudy days in the city. About 29% of the time the sky will be full of clouds, this percentage can reach up to 71% of the time. Getting an almost cloudless day is unlikely, just 29% of the time. 

nublado-rio

nuvens-cristo

Find out  What to do in Rio de Janeiro on a cloudy day!

From mid-April to mid-October, the days will be clearer. Most of the time the sky will be almost or cloudless, about 74% of the time. There is a probability of seeing some clouds 26% of the time.

baia-de-guanabara

PRECIPITATION AVERAGE

It’s considered a day with precipitation, those in which the minimum precipitation is equivalent to 1 millimeter. The presence of rain, fog and/or a mixture of both can be observed. The rainy season in the city varies throughout the year, usually in the form of rain.

In Rio de Janeiro, the precipitation season occurs from October to March. It’s about 5 months with a 40% chance of precipitation.

chuva-rio

It’s raining, what about now? Read what to do in Rio de Janeiro when it rains!

Between April and October, it is the driest period in the city. The probability of precipitation is 16%. The month with the least amount of rain is August.

julho-rio-de-janeiro

HUMIDITY FEELING

The variation in the sensation of humidity in Rio is seasonal and extreme. To measure the humidity, the dew point is usually observed, which determines whether the perspiration evaporates from the skin. When the dew point is low, the feeling is dry, the climate is pleasant.

When the dew point is high, it causes a feeling of greater humidity. This defines, for example, what the night will be like, depending on the sensation perceived during the day. Usually, muggy days are followed by muggy nights.

Between the months of September to June is the period considered the muggiest in the city. Muffled and extremely humid days are perceived 48% of the time. There are days when the humidity percentage can reach 99%. The days are very exhausting.  

In the period between July and August, they are considered less muggy of the year, with the humidity index at 31%. The days are much more pleasant.

TIP

Do you want to know the city for real? Join the Walking Tour Downtown and Lapa! We guarantee lots of useful information and fun on our tour. You will see the city with different eyes. Check out!

WINDS

The sensation of winds in the city depends mainly on the local topography. Not many variations are observed in relation to the winds in Rio.

The period with the greatest presence of winds is between the months of July and mid-November. In September, the winds are usually much stronger than the average speed perceived throughout the year.

ventos-rio

Winds will be calmer in the city from late November to June. March is a period with much calmer winds.

And to finish all these details, you can’t miss a swim on the beach days. So:

The city of Rio de Janeiro is located close to large bodies of water (which can be oceans, seas or lakes). There’s a significant variation in water temperature throughout the year.

Days with warmer water occur between the months of January and April. The average water temperature will be above 25°C.

The water can be felt colder between the months of July and October. In these months the water temperature will be up to 22°C at the most.

agua-rio

TIP

After all this information, would you like to know what is the best time to visit Rio de Janeiro? We have the perfect text for you! Read: What is the best time to go to Rio de Janeiro 

What did you think of our text, was it useful for you? Tell us. 🙂

Share: Facebook Twitter Google